What makes our school special?
Parents considering a safe and effective school need to look no further than the Warren Prescott School in Charlestown. The school is housed in two buildings, with the Lower School located at 50 School Street and the Upper School across the way at 8 Pearl Street. Teachers, parents, and others who make up the school community form a strong team with a proven record. It’s a small school with family atmosphere. Parents are welcome visitors, and the staff is outstanding.
We focus on the whole child, with an emphasis on academics as well as enrichment. We provide art, music, and physical education classes for all students. There are support programs for students with special needs. The school has a growing after-school program which includes voluntary participation in a variety of programs including theater, chorus, fitness, math, and many others. In 2009, we initiated a sailing program with Courageous Sailing. We also offer an optional fee-based extended day program in Kindergarten, 1st grade and 2nd grade. We have a mandatory extended day program for students in grades 6 – 8, two days each week, with programs in Latin, Spanish, and Shakespeare.
The Warren Prescott School Community’s focus is, first and foremost, to stimulate in each child a love for learning and to prepare students for lifelong learning through effective teaching. Our mission is also to engender critical thinking, to instill in each child a respect for self and others, and to foster the ideals of a democratic society.
We see a school in which:
- everyone is committed to high standards of performance in order to achieve his/her maximum potential.
- everyone will experience a safe, peaceful, and motivating learning environment.
- everyone interfacing with the school community has something to teach.
- everyone has a significant responsibility for his/her own learning.
- everyone is respectful and respected.
- everyone’s physical, emotional, and social needs are supported.
- everyone is engaged in effective communication.
- everyone in the school community participates in a unified effort for continued school improvement.
- the framework of the school is stretched beyond its physical and temporal limits.